Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Shoulda' Stayed in the Kitchen

This will be a short post. Jessica and I were feeding Tori and reading a short story by Brandon Sanderson when I glanced at the bookmark I got from the library. On the bookmark there was a list of upcoming events at the library, one of which was a class on starting a book club. Then somehow the sleep deprivation from daylight savings time caused my brain to take the following path: "Book Club. Fight Club. Book Fight Club. What if I wrote a book about guys who join book clubs to secretly cause fights by espousing controversial opinions about the book of the week?" And thus was born:


We laughed about this way more than it probably deserved, then sat around brainstorming fake discussion prompts we could have the guys in the story give the unknowing book club women to cause them to fight. For example, they could say things like: "I hate <insert popular character's name here>. They're so whiny." or "My favorite part was when they killed that one major character. They totally had it coming." Or even "I think the real heroes of Twilight were James and Victoria, for trying to kill Bella." The second-best was: "Who is the worse parent in Pride and Prejudice: Mr. Bennett, for not supporting his wife and shielding Elizabeth from having to marry Mr. Collins, or Mrs. Bennett, for trying to have any say in her daughters' lives when she should have stayed in the kitchen and let her husband make all the decisions?" However, far more entertaining was Jessica's response when I suggested the following discussion prompt. A guest at the book club is asked to defend the following position: "Pride and Prejudice teaches women a false moral by allowing Elizabeth Bennett to end up happily wed to the wealthy Mr. Darcy despite refusing Mr. Collins and endangering further prospects by being willful, opinionated, and out of the kitchen."

*Disclaimer: We don't actually believe these things, that's why they are funny because we get to imagine the response of people who would take them seriously. Also, I've never seen Fight Club. Or read the book. My only exposure to it was the trailers when it came out, and the following youTube spoof:


**Another disclaimer: I haven't read Twilight. I've seen the movie, and totally agreed with Jessica's fake comments once she explained that James was the vampire who almost kills Bella.

***Yet another disclaimer: I'm not really a violent person, and I know making fun of Twilight is overdone and that Twilight wouldn't make a good book club book anyway. This is all nonsense we came up with when we were loopy from sleep deprivation after setting our clocks forward an hour, and really isn't meant to be taken seriously. If you're one of the five people who read this blog you already know that most of what we say isn't meant to be taken seriously anyway.

The first rule of Book Fight Club? Never actually read the assigned book.

2 comments:

  1. I think the REAL hero of this blog is Tori, for trying to eat Kevin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like a book fight club is probly one of the best ideas you've ever come up with. I can't believe I didn't think of it earlier.

    ReplyDelete